WhatsApp calling feature is trending these days and everyone is trying to get it. But as I posted in my previous posts, to get whatsapp calling feature you have to root your phone and do some coding work on terminal emulator to enable whatsapp call feature. But that trick was very limited because if you close the terminal emulator, the calling feature gets lost.
So, I am back with a new trick to modify whatsapp apk file to enable calling feature without rooting the phone. After modifying the code, we will recompile the modded apk file and will use it in our phone. So, let's start the tutorial:
1. First of all, download the complete package of files required for this process. DOWNLOAD LINK
2. Now after downloading the package, extract it using winrar.
3. Now in the extracted folder, you will get New Modded WhatsApp, apktool files, SignApk, readme and whatsapp. Now lets start the process.
4. Now make sure that java development kit is installed in your computer. If not, then download the Java JDK from THIS LINK and install it in your computer. You need to install notepad++ also, so download and install notepad++ from THIS LINK.
5. After installing JDK in your computer, let's configure it. Open control panel and search for "variable" keyword. From the search results, click "Edit the system environment variables".
6. Now "System Properties" window will be opened. Click "Environment Variables" button
7. Now search for "Path" under system variables and select it. Then click "Edit".
8. Now add a semicolon ( ; ) at the end of the variable value and then add the path of your JDK bin directory. In my case, it is "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_11\bin". But use your own system path for JDK bin folder because the java version may be different in your system. Now finally, add another semicolon at the end of the variable value and click OK in all the windows. See the screenshot below for better understanding.
8. Now to check whether java is working in your computer, open command prompt and type the following code and press enter: javac -version
9. If java is working properly, you should see the java version installed in your computer.
10. Now after installing JDK in our computer, let's start decompiling WhatsApp.apk file.
11. Create a new folder "apktool" in C: drive and then extract the downloaded "apktool files.zip" file. You will get three files, "aapt.exe", "apktool.bat" and "apktool.jre", copy these three files into C:\apktool folder which you created recently.
12. Now copy and paste the whatsapp.apk file from downloaded folder to C:\apktool folder.
13. Now open command prompt and type cd.. command until you get to the root directory of C: drive.
14. Now type cd apktool command to select the apktool directory.
15. Now type apktool if whatsapp.apk command and press enter key. By running this command, you will install the framework in your computer.
16. Now type apktool d whatsapp.apk and press enter. This command will start decompiling your apk file. Wait until the decompilation gets completed.
17. After decompilation has been completed, open C:\apktool folder and you will see a new folder named "whatsapp". Just open that folder and right click on "AndroidManifest.xml" and open with notepad++.
18. Now search for the following code:
<activity android:configChanges="keyboard|keyboardHidden|orientation|screenLayout|screenSize|smallestScreenSize|uiMode" android:hardwareAccelerated="false" android:name="com.whatsapp.Main">and replace the whole code with the following code:
<activity android:configChanges="keyboard|keyboardHidden|orientation|screenLayout|screenSize|smallestScreenSize|uiMode" android:hardwareAccelerated="false" android:name="com.whatsapp.Main"/>
19.Now search for the following code:
<activity android:configChanges="keyboard|keyboardHidden|orientation|screenLayout|screenSize|smallestScreenSize|uiMode" android:label="@string/app_name" android:launchMode="singleTask" android:name="com.whatsapp.HomeActivity" android:theme="@style/Theme.App.Home"/>and replace it with following code:
<activity android:configChanges="keyboard|keyboardHidden|orientation|screenLayout|screenSize|smallestScreenSize|uiMode" android:label="@string/app_name" android:launchMode="singleTask" android:name="com.whatsapp.HomeActivity" android:theme="@style/Theme.App.Home">20. Now save the xml file and close notepad++
21. Let's compile the new whatsapp apk file. Open command prompt again and then type the command apktool b whatsapp This command will start building the apk file as shown in the image below.
22. When building of apk file will be finished, you will find a new folder named "dist" in "whatsapp" folder. Open that folder and you will find your new whatsapp apk file. But still this file is not ready to use because we need to sign this file.
23. Create a new folder in C: drive and rename it as "signapk". Now open the downloaded folder and extract the signapk.zip file. You will get 3 files, "signapk.jar", "certificate.pem" and "key.pk8". Copy these three files and paste them in the signapk folder you created in C: drive.
24. Now copy the newly compiled whatsapp.apk file from C:\whatsapp\dist folder and paste into C:\signapk folder.
25. Now open command prompt and again use cd.. command to reach the root drive and then type the command cd signapk to select the signapk directory.
26. Now type the command java –jar signapk.jar certificate.pem key.pk8 whatsapp.apk whatsappnew.apk and press enter key.
27. Now when the apk will be signed, you will get the final whatsappnew.apk file in the folder signapk. Copy that whatsappnew.apk file to anywhere to use it in your phone.
28. Now clear cache and data and uninstall any previous version of whatsapp from your mobile and install the new whatsapp we build recently.
29. After installing the new whatsapp, launch it, register your phone number etc and after setting it up, close the app.
30. Now restart your phone and then open whatsapp. You will get your calling tab ready.
NOTE : If you don't like this coding stuff and are not a geek, then I have added the final signed apk file in the download package. Just open "New Modded WhatsApp" folder and use the whatsappnew.apk file given inside that folder.
Keep visiting for more tips and tricks. If you liked this post, please share it in your social media profiles.
Whatsapp has now closed the beta testing in India and now you can't call after installing the modded app also. You will not see the contact list in calling tab. But there is still a way to enable the calling but unfortunately you will have to root your phone because we will have to add the 2 lines of code in the whatsapp reference file which is installed in the root. So here is how you can use the call feature in whatsapp:
1. Root your phone and then install "ES FILE EXPLORER" from playstore.
2. Now open ES File Explorer and from its menu, enable root access and allow the root permissions.
3. Now navigate to the path "/data/data/com.whatsapp/shared_prefs/" and open com.whatsapp_preferences.xml file in ES File Editor.
4. Now, edit the xml file and below the <map> tag, add the following code:
<boolean name =”call” value=”true”/>5. Now save the xml file and close ES File Explorer
6. Now go to Settings > Apps > WhatsApp and force stop whatsapp. Then open whatsapp again and you will be able to see a new dial button while chatting with your friends and will be able to see the contact list after tapping add contact button of whatsapp.